What to do if your dog eats something it shouldn't in Franklin, NC

If you have a pet, you know that they will get curious and want to eat something they shouldn't. Moving fast in these cases, whether they eat an indigestible object or a poisonous substance, is one of the safest ways to help your pet. A potentially life-threatening situation can be avoided with early action.

As a pet parent, your dog or cat's health must always be the top priority, but knowing what may hurt them can go a long way toward ensuring your furry friend's safety, as some of these items move harmlessly through their digestive tract while others may cause serious problems.

When you catch your pet eating anything they shouldn't, the most helpful thing you can do is remove whatever they're already trying to eat. It all depends on what they've eaten; if they eat more, their condition will deteriorate.

You may or may not see your dog eat anything they shouldn't; often there are visible signals, but often times there aren't; thus, whether you have suspicions, the next move is to investigate and see if what they ate was dangerous, you may start looking for odd behavior or other common symptoms.

If you find some of the signs below, it's possible he ate something foreign or toxic:

  • Vomiting or gagging
  • Shaking
  • Trouble breathing
  • Coughing
  • Lethargy
  • Changes in typical behavior
  • Lack of appetite
  • Diarrhea or constipation

Any symptoms and reactions can take 6 to 12 hours to manifest or change your pet's behavior, but if you find any of the above habits, contact our veterinarians right away. Often, make sure that something that may be toxic is out of the reach of your pet.


Some of the things your dog MUST always avoid eating are: Chocolate, Milk, Grapes/Raisins, Macadamia Nuts, Garlic, Onions, Avocado, Yeast Dough, Apple Cores, Xylitol (often found in gum and candy), Caffeine, Alcohol, Salt, Peach/Plum Pits, Cleaning Products and Human Medicine/Vitamins.

Remember that none of these tips will replace careful consultation with a professional; the only way to help your dog or cat is to contact Franklin Veterinary Hospital for advice or medication as soon as possible if you are concerned about their welfare. Even though you're not sure if they consumed anything they shouldn't have, it's better to be careful!

When you have questions over what your pet might have ingested, the best person to consult is a veterinarian. Call Franklin Veterinary Hospital at (828) 369-8080 whether your dog or cat swallows a foreign substance or you think your pet ate something they shouldn't have.