Pets And The Dangers Of Halloween
For people who celebrate Halloween and are looking forward to it, October can be a very fun month. However, it’s important to be aware of the dangers your pet can encounter during this day. Something as simple as leaving some sweets meant for humans in a place your pet can reach could have fatal consequences. If you know some of the common things to look out for, you can help keep your dog and cat safe.
Pets tend to have a propensity of putting their nose where they shouldn't. While candy is accessible all year, it is more prevalent during the Halloween and winter holidays. Chocolate is one of the most common candies bought and given during the Halloween season and can be enticing for both people and animals. Unfortunately, depending on the type and quantity of chocolate they consume, pets can become severely sick if they happen to ingest it.
Signs Your Pet Might Be Intoxicated
Whether your pet got to the candy while you were away, or they sneakily grabbed it behind your back, you should get some medical assistance as soon as you realize they ingested the candy. Depending on the type of candy or chocolate, several indications may appear. Here are the most typical ones:
- Increased Thirst
- Loss of Coordination
- Shaking, Muscle Tremors
There is a wide variety of candy, but it often contains components that dogs shouldn't eat. Although sugar is not poisonous to dogs, it is also not good for them. And while chocolate can be toxic to dogs, chocolate candies are significantly different. Some candies could include xylitol or other artificial sweeteners, which could be harmful to your dog's health or even lethal. Depending on their size, some candies could also be a choking hazard. To keep pets from getting their hands on Halloween candy in the first place, keep them securely stored and never leave them alone.
You should call the Franklin Veterinary Hospital veterinarians for assistance if your pet eats sweets due to the variety of poisons and potential effects. Being proactive rather than reactive is always preferable, and if treatment is required, getting started quickly can improve your pet's chances of recovery.
When giving Halloween candy out, place the bowl up high, so your dog can't get to it or tip it over. If you have children trick-or-treating, make sure they understand the importance of not giving your dog sweets and keeping them out of the pet's reach.
Another thing you can do to make sure your furry friend has a safe Halloween is to safeguard them. You can either keep them in your bedroom or pet-proof your living room and kitchen. You don’t want to have to spend Halloween night in the ER with your pet! Make sure to call your veterinarian or an animal poison control center right away if you realize your dog or cat did consume something dangerous, so they can receive life-saving treatment.
Always visit or call the veterinarians at Franklin Veterinary Hospital in Franklin, NC if you have any questions or concerns; we can assist you to ensure the health and wellness of your pets.